Police BriefsPolice Briefs

CK police briefs - Friday, September 22, 2023

Teen charged with arson after Chatham fire

A 16-year-old Chatham boy is charged with arson after an early morning house fire on Wellington Street in Chatham.

Emergency crews were called to the scene just before 3:30 a.m. on Saturday, September 16, and by the time firefighters arrived, they could see flames from the first-floor windows.

Police said no one was home at the time and there were no injuries reported.

Officers said further investigation showed that the fire was started intentionally and they were able to identify a suspect.

A Chatham teen was arrested on Thursday in connection with the case and charged with arson.

He was set to be held in custody pending a bail hearing.


Evicted tenant allegedly lunges at employees

A 38-year-old man who was previously kicked out of a building on Grand Avenue West in Chatham is facing an assault charge after he came back to retrieve something.

Police said they were called to the scene on Thursday, adding that the previous tenant allegedly got into a "disagreement" with someone at the building when he came back to retrieve some items.

Officers said the disagreement escalated to the point where the accused allegedly tried to lunge at building employees and refused to leave when he was asked to do so.

Police said they arrested the man after they were called in and charged him with one count of assault.

He was taken to police headquarters and was later released with a future court date.


"Severely intoxicated" man knocked on the wrong door

A Wallaceburg man who showed up at the wrong residence and refused to leave spent the night sobering up in a Chatham-Kent police holding cell.

Police said they were called to the scene at around 9 p.m. Thursday in the area of Wallace Street in Wallaceburg, adding that the suspect was knocking on the complainant's door and didn't leave when he was told he was at the wrong address.

Officers said the complainant believed the man was intoxicated based on his behaviour and because he was carrying a bottle of alcohol.

The man was still in the area when police arrived and they found that he was "severely intoxicated."

A 37-year-old Wallaceburg man was taken into custody and given a ticket for public intoxication.

He was held in custody at police headquarters until he sobered up.

Read More Local Stories