Police BriefsPolice Briefs

CK police briefs - Thursday, December 1, 2022

Man accused of skipping court, leaving crash scene arrested

A 62-year-old Wallaceburg man who was wanted for missing his court date has been arrested after he turned himself in at the police station in Wallaceburg on Wednesday.

Police said the court appearance the man missed was set to address a charge against him of leaving the scene of a collision.

After he turned himself in, the man was taken to police headquarters and later released with conditions and a future court date.


Woman arrested for allegedly stealing from store she had been banned from attending

A 35-year-old Chatham woman is facing a handful of charges after she allegedly tried to get a five-finger discount from the Real Canadian Superstore in Chatham.

Police said they received a call about a theft at the store just before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, adding that by the time they arrived, the items had been recovered but the suspect had already left the store.

Investigators were able to identify a suspect after reviewing some surveillance footage and learned that it was a woman who had a probation order that required her to stay away from the store.

Police arrested her later that day and charged her with theft, possession of stolen property, and violating a probation order.

She was later released with conditions and a future court date.


Alleged impaired driver arrested for failing to attend court

A 62-year-old Chatham man who was already in trouble for allegedly driving while impaired was taken back into police custody on Wednesday.

Police said he was wanted for failing to attend court, adding that they arrested him on Dufferin Avenue.

He was taken to police headquarters where he was set to be held pending a bail hearing.


Woman wanted by Toronto police arrested in Blenheim

A 24-year-old woman who was wanted by police in Toronto has been returned to them after Chatham-Kent police found her in Blenheim early Thursday morning.

Police said they found the woman on Talbot Street East just after 3:30 a.m. Thursday while they were responding to a disturbance call.

The woman was allegedly intoxicated and unable to care for herself, so police took her into custody and were set to hold her there until she could be turned over to the Toronto Police Service.

Read More Local Stories