The Township of Mapleton is updating its rules for food trucks and other mobile food vendors, replacing regulations that have been in place for more than two decades.
Council approved a new food vendor bylaw at its August 11 meeting, repealing rules dating back to 2005. Township staff said the mobile food industry has changed significantly since then, with growth in its "volume, variety, ingenuity, entrepreneurship, status, and embedded risk."
Staff said food vendor traffic has largely been handled on an ad hoc basis in recent years, allowing the township to respond to different events and circumstances.
"The goal of updating and modernizing the Township's food vehicle licensing by-law is to ensure the regulatory framework reflects current industry best practices, operational requirements, and public expectations," the staff report said.
The new bylaw covers food trucks, chip wagons, ice cream vehicles, food trailers, refreshment carts, mobile canteens, and temporary food stands. Agricultural producers selling farm products, some church, charitable and school fundraisers, township-sanctioned events and approved farmers' markets are exempt.
Vendors will be required to provide documentation including insurance coverage of at least $2 million, a site plan and, where applicable, approvals from the Mapleton Fire Department, Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health and the Technical Standards and Safety Authority. Applications must generally be submitted at least five business days before an event.
Application fees range from $125 for a temporary food stand to $500 for a food truck. Vendors will also pay a $30 daily licensing fee for each day they operate.
Staff said the fees are intended to cover the cost of reviewing applications, inspections and administration.
The township said the changes are intended to create a "fair, transparent, and business-friendly licensing process" while protecting public health and supporting local economic activity.