CK police briefs - Sunday, November 20, 2022

Two men arrested, charged after break-and-enter in Chatham 

Two men from Windsor are facing multiple charges after allegedly renting a U-Haul to transport $10,000 worth of items stolen from a business during a break-in overnight on Sunday.

Police said at around 1:54 a.m., they received a call from an alarm company reporting that a business located on Grand Avenue West in Chatham had multiple alarm hits in their storage trailers.

Upon police arrival, an officer observed a male suspect moving pallets from behind a storage trailer. As he began to walk away, he was met by the officer and placed under arrest.

Police said that while the suspect was being placed under arrest, a second suspect was observed fleeing from the scene.

Officers tracked the second suspect to a house under renovation located on Lark Street. The suspect was found hiding inside before he was arrested.

An investigation revealed that the two suspects had used a cordless grinder to cut the locks off four storage containers and had removed approximately $10,000 worth of items.

Police add that the suspects also rented a U-Haul prior to the break and enter, and were parked nearby so they could use it to transport the stolen property.

As a result of the investigation, two men from Windsor, Ont. have been charged with the following offenses:

- Four counts of break and enter

- Possession of break-in instruments

- Two counts of theft over $5,000

- Possession over $5,000

The pair were each released with future court dates.

Well-being checks lead to outstanding warrant arrests

Chatham-Kent police were called to the area of Keil Drive on Saturday for a well-being check.

Police said they located a man, who was found to have a warrant for an alleged assault.

He was arrested and released with a future court date.

In a separate matter, police were called Saturday night to the area of the hospital in Chatham to check on the well-being of a male.

Police located him and learned that he had a warrant for allegedly failing to attend court.

He was arrested and released with a future court date.

Read More Local Stories