Following the recent death of an Amherstburg teen, carbon monoxide poisoning is top of mind for many in the area.
Amherstburg Fire Chief Randy Sinasac says the town's CO awareness started prior to the death of 17-year-old Michael Matte.
"Public information announcements, messages in our local paper as well as signage in the community," says Sinasac. "It also involves in-service program, much like our smoke alarm program, to ensure the public is aware that there is laws in regards to carbon monoxide detectors in homes."
Matte died of CO poisoning in his garage after using a gas-powered generator. Matte's funeral was held Saturday.